Project NIA is seeking a communications intern with an interest in youth issues, restorative/transformative justice, violence prevention, and the criminal legal system. Please see details below, and forward to your networks.
About Project NIA…
Launched in 2009, Project NIA is an advocacy, organizing, popular education, research, and capacity-building center with the long-term goal of ending youth incarceration. We believe that several simultaneous approaches are necessary in order to develop and sustain community-based alternatives to the system of policing and incarceration. Our mission is to dramatically reduce the reliance on arrest, detention, and incarceration for addressing youth crime and to instead promote the use of restorative and transformative practices, a concept that relies on community-based alternatives.
About the internship…
The communications intern will provide programmatic and administrative support for all print and web-based communications of the organization. In doing so, the intern will gain an inside perspective in restorative/transformative justice and youth in trouble with the law. The communications intern will work closely with Project NIA staff to help underscore the accomplishments of the organization.
• Strong communication (oral and written) skills and word processing required
• Strong research skills
• Experience working with print, web and/or video
• Interest in document layout and design a plus
* Interest and experience with social media (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, WordPress Blogs)
• Commitment and interest in learning about restorative/transformative justice, the juvenile justice system, and youth issues.
• Reliability, efficiency, flexibility, eagerness to learn
• Ability to work independently and as a team player
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Maintenance of organizational website and affiliated blogs
• Maintenance of e-newsletter
• Research: scan daily, weekly, monthly publications and report to staff
• Support the development of communication tools including monthly and quarterly publications
• Generating content (written, audio, video)
* Maintain Project NIA’s twitter account
* Regularly update Project NIA’s facebook page.
We ask for a commitment of at least 8 hours per week over at least 6 months, and are flexible about schedules.
This is an unpaid internship.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume as WORD attachments or PDF files to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “communications internship” in the subject line. Writing samples are encouraged. We are looking to fill this internship as soon as possible. Please send your application no later than February 13th, 2013.
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship.